Thus Die All Traitors
by Leon Terrix

     The police arrested my friend yesterday. Nobody knew why Levin had shot his friend, or where he had learned marksmanship. Neither did anyone know how or where he had gotten the sniper rifle. Most people were shocked by Levin's actions.
     When the police came to the school to make the arrest, Levin didn't resist at all. He handed over the rifle and raised both of his hands. The police cuffed him with brute force, but he didn't seem to mind. When they forced him into the back of the police cruiser, he looked at me straight in the eyes, and smiled. I was glad that Levin's happy. He seemed happy for the first time in his life.
     The obese sergeant in charge asked me a couple of questions. I didn't want to talk to him. I just told him the general things. Levin had been a straight "A" student and got accepted early to CalTech. The fat sergeant opened his mouth to ask another question. I cut him off and told him that I didn't know why Levin had done it except that he had a good reason. At this point, he stared at me with utter disgust, as if I had said something wrong. I wasn't bothered by Levin's killing. Sure I saw Garland's brain splattered all over the concrete, but it didn't mean anything. The guy's dead.
     The next day, I went down to the station to talk to Levin. I was guided to a small cell with a single small window. Levin lay on the bunk. He looked well-rested and carefree. When he saw me, he smiled again, but didn't get up. The cell was dirty as hell. I sat down on a chair outside of the cell. The solid metal bars separated us. He didn't say much, except that he was happy to see me.
     The ten minutes went by quickly. The guard motioned me to leave. I finally asked him why he had shot Garland. He only replied "betrayal". I didn't inquire any further. That was enough for me.
     In court, Levin refused to answer any questions posed by the prosecutor. He sat in front of the defendant's desk alone because he sent his appointed lawyer away. He looked defenseless as the prosecutor pounded him with questions and sneering remarks. Levin looked indifferent. In the end, he stood up and said one thing, "Thus die all traitors." That was it, the last thing I ever heard coming out of his mouth.
     They took him away, and he was executed three days later. Levin's last words ran through my mind constantly. Thus die all traitors.